More than fifty years ago, Mr. Dragan Jordanovic created the SOKO (Srpsko Omaldinsko Kolo Odruzenje) Serbian Folklore Group with the support and blessing of the Holy Resurrection Serbian Orthodox Cathedral. SOKO was the first Serbian folklore group created in the United States and its mission was to help preserve the art and culture of Serbian folk dancing, and to bring the Serbian youth together within a church setting. The group began with a little over 40 dancers and has been steadily growing ever since.
Today SOKO has over 250 dancers and a team of choreographers that are dedicated to providing quality instruction to our children and adults, all the while, adhering to the same mission as our predecessors. The SOKO Folkore Group is for all Orthodox Christian children from pre-school age through high school. There is also an adult dance group, SOKOLI, for adults that would like to experience or continue the art of folklore in a relaxed environment.
Some logistical information about SOKO….
· Practices for SOKO are held on Fridays at our church hall. Times vary depending on which group the dancer is placed in.
Time schedules can be found on the documents page.
· Practices for the SOKOLI adult group are held Tuesday evenings from 7:00p.m. to 8:30p.m.
· Any cancellations of practices are communicated in advance. The calendar for the season has been uploaded to the site on the calendar page..
· Our registration is held in August through mid-September (Registration dates can be found on the calendar page) and only children enrolled within this time frame can participate. We do NOT accept late registrations as this greatly hinders our progress as a group.
· The cost per child is $180.00 for the year and for additional children there is a $20.00 discount per child. The fee helps to offset the operating costs of the program, necessary equipment and travel.
· All SOKO families are highly encouraged to attend church services regularly, partake in the sacrament of Holy Communion and participate in religious education programs.
· Any questions or comments about Soko can be forwarded to the Soko team or Father Radovan Jakovljevic (Director of the HRSOC Education Board) at